2014/03/09

Pulling KK style for record deadlifts

Hi all there,

recently I changed my pulling style and I am not looking back. I have long legs, short torso, strong lower back. My best pull is 260k (572lb). And I want more. I always liked pulling and the technique was quite easy for me because of my build. However, It never felt "perfect". I studies lots of vids and descriptions of the so called "proper form": flat back, look ahead, dip the hips, start with leg drive, etc. It never felt perfect.

Recently, I read Konstantin Konstantinovs stating in several interviews that his pulling form never hurt his back and is quite safe. I tried it a few weeks ago and it felt just perfect. Hips higher, less flexion in knees, bar close to body, flat lower back, steeper torso angle, hunched upper back and head down. It might looking "dangerous" but trust me, it's not.

deadlift KK style:


... and here is my retarded drawing of the pulling mechanics:

Notice the angles:
- your torso is more uprigt, so there is less force on your spine than with the traditional form
- your hips are closer to the bar and that improves leverages
- your knee angle is bigger which allows for faster and stronger knee extension (a quarter squat is always stronger than a half squat)

Things to keep in mind:
- your lower back and middle back need to be pretty damn strong
- your lower back is flat during the whole lift
- your upper back is rounded and somewhat relaxed with head down


First few sessions I pulled that way I noticed my pull is way easier, weights feel easier, I pull the bar closest to my body and the next day my mid back, rhomboids, hams and glutes are sore. The most importnat thing is my lower back is NEVER sore now.


Give it a shot. Good luck :-)






1 comment: