2016/08/08

Powerlifting and Crossfit??? .... WTF???

Hi,


just turned 40. Big milestone. You make summaries, evaluations, new goals, new plans. Your body is different. Mindset is different, goals change.

When I was 20, I wanted to be strong and jacked. Hell, when I was 30, I still wanted to be strong and jacked. Now, when I am 40, have two kids for whom I feel greatly responsible and need to be in top shape to run my company, I want to be strong, jacked, fit and healthy.

But how the fuck can you combine powerlifting and crossfit? It's like porsche and John Deere tractor ...

Nope, not like this ...















Like that:













So, how the heck do you combine it? Focus on the benefits. Take out the best and leave the crap.

What can you take from powerlifting?
Best: basic movements, low-medium reps, multiple sets, multiple times per week.
Crap: conditioning, general fitness, mobility

What can you take from crossfit?
Best: Exercise sequences with almost zero rest between sets, high reps, metabolic conditioning, tons of variations.
Crap: high-rep olympic lifts, sometimes lack of strength programing

So far I've been doing it for 6 months, my strength is the same as before and on some lifts I hit new PR's, conditioning improvement is through the roof and yep, you guessed it, I lost 6kg (13lbs) of fat and got significantly leaner. I was 102kg, now I am down to 96kg.

Is this ideal training? I don't know and I don't care. I still can build strength, improve conditioning and I am more jacked than ever. So far, it is working.

Here are some typical training sessions as of late ...


squat: 5 sets of 5
bench press: 5 sets of 8
3 rounds of:
seated DB presses
15 reps, 15 reps, 15 reps
incline sit-ups
30 reps, 30 reps, 30 reps
rope jumps
200, 200, 200


(1 round would be: 15 reps of shoulder presses followed by 30 incline sit-ups followed by 200 rope jumps; no rest between exercises, 3 min rest between rounds)

or

front squat: 4 sets of 4
overhead press: 5 sets of 8, hypertrophy set 15+
3 rounds of:
heavy-as-fuck T-bar rows
8, 8, 8
KB swing
50, 50, 50
rope jumps
200, 200, 200

or

conventional deadlift: 5 sets of 3
floor press: 5 sets of 8, hypertrophy set 20+
3 rounds of:
rope jumps
150, 200, 250
leg press heavy
50, 50, 50
rope jumps
150, 200, 250

or

squat: 5 sets of 4, hypertrophy set 15+
sumo deadlift: 5 sets of 5
3 rounds of:
push-ups
30, 30, 30
dumbbell thrusters
20, 20, 20
rower
4 min, 4 min, 4 min


Endless variations, you keep your powerlifting programming and are getting stronger plus you get more jacked and way more fit. Works for me. Give it shot ;-)








No comments:

Post a Comment