2023/01/10

strength training for older dudes ...

If you are 25 or 46 (as I am now) the same training principles apply and produce results. Yes, you still get jacked and very strong even when you are over 40, 50, 60. But, IMO, you have to implement certain modifications. Still, even at 46 years old, strength training is going to produce all the great benefits:

- great neuro-muscular coordination

- great muscle activation

- increased bone density

- stronger muscle fibers

- more hypertrophy



As said above, there are several modifications you should consider if you are over 40 compared to when you were 25 and could get away with just about anything you put your body through.


Volume

Volume is still king but you will have to reduce volume a bit as your recovery capacity is objectively lower. Intensity can still be high or very high but the number of work sets should be lower. Also limit the number of exercises per workout. If you want to increase volume it is better to do it with higher frequency instead of higher volume per session. As a 20 year old I could easily do 6 sets of 3 with 80% of 1RM, these days I opt for 4 sets of 3 with 75-80%. Ilike to do no more than 3-4 exercises per session; usually two compound lifts and 1-2 accessories. Accessories no longer serve for local muscle hypertrophy but raher for local muscular imbalances and tight muscle groups. You will have tight muscle groups from time to time when getting older.


Mobility

As we grow older we tend to get stiff in certain areas. For me it is the upper back and thoracic spine. To combat that I include olympic lifts into the training week to enforce full ROM and extreme positions under load. Learn proper form though before you load the lifts or you will get injured.


Bodyweight

Reduce your bodyweight. I know, I know, when I was 20 I too wanted to be as strong as possible and as huge as possible. Nowadays, I choose to be leaner, lighter, still very strong and athletic.


Accept lower poundages

This one was difficult for me as my strength level is about 15%-20% lower than in my early thirties. I know very clearly I will never break my all-time max in deadlift or squat because, first, I am 20kg (45 lbs) lighter and 15 years older. Good rule of thumb is to set new strength goals for every 5 years of your age. Set goals for when you are between 40-45. Then set new goals when you are 45-50. They do not have to be only 1RM goals as the top end strength tends to drop the fastest since you objectively lose testosteron as you age but rep strength and AMRAP strength tend to hold the longest. 5RM on deadlifts. AMRAP 10 min on front squats or thrusters. Max number of pull-ups. max 3 sets of 8 on safety squat bar squats, etc. No longer strong and huge, rather strong and lean and athletic should become your motto.


Muscle activation

Spend solid 15-20mins before training on warm-ups and muscle activation as it takes more time to "awaken" muscle groups to fire properly. I typically focus on shoulder blades movements, hip mobility, glute activation and I am good to go.


I strongly believe one should lift till 70s, 80s, 90s. But you also have to be realistic, modify the training as needed and listen to your body.


Excerpts from my current training (1 week) @ 46 years old:


Day 1:

1/ behind the neck presses (for forcing the upper back mobility and shoulder strength)

5 sets of 3

2/ snatch grip high pull (for explosiveness and upper back strength)

4 sets of 3 (up to a very hard triple)

3/ squat

4 sets of 3

4/ chest-supported rows

6 sets of 6 with very precise form


Day 2:

1/ one-arm KB farmer's carry (for core strength and hip stability)

heavy KB for 8 minutes non-stop

2/ conventional deadlift

5 sets of 3 (up to a heavy triple)

3/ bench press

5 sets of 5 with the same weight for all sets

4/ optional: arms work or shoulders



Day 3:

1/ snatch

5 sets of 2 (up to a heavy double)

2/ front squat

4 sets of 3 with heavy weight

3/ seated GM

5 sets of 3 with medium weight

4/ pull-ups

max reps for 8 minutes



Have fun!



















9 comments:

  1. Great stuff! Glad to see you posting again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you like it. let me know what other topics you would like to see here.

      Delete
  2. I've been coming here for years. Today, I'm 45. I still do my 5X3 @75%1RM. The key is to not train as often. I lift Doug Hepburn style (he's the one who invented "eastern bloc" style lifting). Just stay out of the gym more often than in. Eat well. Be patient. I would stick with the Big 3 (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) and forget things like snatches and "fitness" movements. My "cardio" is a great sex life. My strength training is the barbell. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came here to re visit the minimalist schedule and BAM a brand new routine to look at. Ty Sir, I hit 60 this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad, that you write new posts. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again I agree with others that it good.to.see you posting again. I am 56 and the wheels came off my big lifts some years ago. I had to rethink my training and also tell my ego that I am in my fifties I have for years looked at your posts and valued the "common sense" you speak regarding living weights. I also hope to be lifting weights into my 60s and if still able beyond that. As I have aged I also tend to be less back squat focused and the size that use to bring and adapted my training to "doing more " as you advocated to those older lifters. I tend as you mentioned in those article to concentrate on two compound lifts and dips or press ups . I also was not a fan of the ab wheel but got one a few years ago and I have been pleasantly surprised at the results. I have managed to loose 10kg and now have been steady at just under 80kg bodyweight for twelve months. My training is different to twenty years ago ten years ago and even five years ago but that does not mean I have lost any enjoyment of lifting. As you advocated it just needs you to accept that lifting weights , as we age becomes less about 1rep max and more about that Eastern bloc 65%-85% workload . So please keep posting as your posts help us "older lifters" and younger lifters can learn from thinking of lifting weights as over decades and realise that turning up lifting sub maximal weights and longevity of lifting with correct form makes you strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I am 47 this year and yes, I had to modify my training as well. I will probabky write a post what programming mistakes I have made past 15 years or so.

      Delete
  6. That should have been dips and chin ups/pull ups

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too much random silliness. Train the lifts, go home. Do it forever.

    ReplyDelete