2014/09/17

My programming ...

To prove that I don't preach water and drink wine, here is my current routine. More or less, with some minor modifications, I've been running such program for past few years with very good results.

Here we go ...



Day 1 (usually Tuesday):

sumo deadlift: programming
floor press: 6 sets of 8
KB swing: 2 sets of 30
leg raises: 4 sets of 20



Day 2 (usually Thursday):

squat: programming
bench press: 6 sets of 5 with 60%
barbell rows: 6 sets of 8 OR dumbell rows: 2 sets of 20 OR Romanian deadlift: 6 sets of 5 with 60%



Day 3 (usually Saturday or Sunday):

bench press: programming
standing overhead press: 6 sets of 8
front squat: 4 sets of 4
shrugs: 5 sets of 5 heavy OR low cable rows: 2 sets of 20



... some notes to the structure and why I choose such lifts: You can notice that the whole program is built around the powerlifts and other heavy compound assistance lifts like overhead pressing, front squat, heavy rows and such. I really think you don't need lots of fluffy exercises for isolation. This way I squat twice a week, bench three times a week (floor press is very similar to flat bench) and pull once or twice a week. This gives me enough practice and form check. Frequency builds confidence, muscle mass and improves motor learning skills.

On the first day I start with heavy sumo. I work the same weight for multiple sets to get in some serious work volume. Typical cycle for all powerlifts looks like this: 6x5@60%, 5x5@65%, 5x4@70%, 4x4@75%, 6x3@80%, 5x2@85%. Then I repeat the cycle with increased maxes or I max out to test my strength and adjust. I might do a deload week after 3-4 weeks. But mostly I don't. After the sumo pulls, I do high volume floor pressing for front delts, pecs and triceps. I think medium grip floor press is one of the best lifts you can do for triceps mass and strength and I highly recommend it. Then some high volume high reps of KB swings with the 24k (53lbs) KB, the best assistance move for the hip hinge and glute and hams mass. Finally some ab work and I am done.

The second day starts with heavy squats. This day has only three lifts because I am pretty fucked up after squats. Personally, the worst week for me is the 6 sets of 3 with 80%. After squatting, I am on to some high volume benching with 60%. I strongly believe, at least for me, high volume benching with high frequency (3 times a week and maybe more) is the key to big bench and upper body mass. I focus on perfect form here and try to improve my groove all the time. I finish the session with some pretty heavy back work, either 6 sets of 8 of some heavy barbell rows or 2 sets of 20 with a heavy dumbbell. Typically, I use 50k-60k (110lbs-132lbs) dumbbell, depending on how I feel that day. Every other week or so I do 6 sets of 5 of Romanian deadlift which is one of the best assitance lifts you can do because it hits everything from upper back, lats to lower back, glutes and hams. Do them heavy and often and watch your regular pull skyrocket. Probably the No.1 exercise for the whole posterior chain.

The last training session of the week starts with heavy benching according to my programming so every week is different. I follow with some medium weight high volume overhead pressing. I focus on strong lockout and scapular movement. I believe strong shoulder pressing gives a strong bench. Period. At this point my upper body is pretty much destroyed and I move to front squats. Front squats should be obligatory in any gym. They hit the quads like nothing else, improve back squat form, improve knee traction and hit glutes, abs and upper back. Hardly you can find a better lower body assistance lift. Go low reps and go heavy. I typically do 4 sets of 4 with the same weight. I am usually fucked up at this point. Yet, I often do heavy shrugs 5 sets of 5 for some serious trap mass or I might do low cable rows with high reps for scapular retraction and shoulder balance.

On off days I might do some light shoulder raises and light biceps or I just rest. Frequently I do some mobility drills on off days.

Sometimes I replace some of the assitance exercise with something else but never the main lifts. I believe one can play with frequency, number of training days per week, sets, reps but the bread and butter lifts should stay the same: back squat, front squat, heavy pulls, Romanian deadlifts, benching, some floor pressing or inclines or heavy dumbbells, then some overhead pressing and lots of back work and abs. That's pretty much it. No need for anything else. Really.


Train hard and good luck!






No comments:

Post a Comment