2015/06/11

Fluff Stuff ... it does matter

What? Have I lost my f**king mind? I have everywhere in my blog that fluff stuff don't matter, that you should cut it out or limit it significantly.

But I do think it matters (to a degree).

When I say "fluff stuff" I do not mean the big important assitance lifts like standing press or front squats, I mean the small things like face pulls, DB flyes, biceps curls, rear delt raises, etc.

I think you can still do the fluff stuff if it does not compromise the main program. Which means:

1/ benches, pulls, squats, shoulder presses, rows, Romanian deadlifts are still 95% of your program throughout the week

2/ the big lifts still get priority over the fluff stuff. Always.

3/ If time is an issue you skip the fluff stuff, never the main lift. Never. One of my sessions typically looks like this:

- heavy conventional: 5 sets of 5
- medium-heavy floor press: 6 sets of 8
- heavy abs: 3 sets
- additional hamstring work: 3-6 sets

Limited time? Then I only do the pull, floor press and abs. Very limited time? Do the pulls, floor press and get out. You've done 95% of the work.



4/ Do the fluff stuff on your off days. Really, I think it is the best option. It does not take away from your main sessions, it speeds up recovery and EVERYBODY has time to do it because it lasts 10-20 minutes tops.

Examples:

#1:
band face pulls: 3 sets of 20
band triceps pushdowns: 1 set of 100 reps

#2:
band leg curls: 4 sets of 20
abs: 3 sets of 30

#3:
hammer curls: 4 sets of 10
rear delt raises: 3 set of 30

#4:
miniband pull-aparts: 4 set of 50
ab wheel: 4 sets of 15


Don't sweat it, it's only the remaining 5% of your training.

Good luck!








No comments:

Post a Comment